Cefalù , (Cifalù in Sicilian) is a town of 13,777 inhabitants in the province of Palermo, is situated on the northern coast of Sicily, about 70 km from Palermo, to foot of a rocky promontory. It is one of the greatest seaside resorts across the province, despite its size, each year attracts millions of tourists from all parts of Sicily and, in general, from all over Italy.
In summer the population reaches even duplicated, making the crowded main streets and major roads in the country. The town, which is part of the Park Madonie is included in the club from The most beautiful villages of Italy, which is an exclusive group of small Italian centers that are distinct from each other to great artistic, cultural and historical for the harmony of the urban fabric, liveability and services to citizens.
There are many important monuments in this city, the remarkable cathedral built in 1131, the inside is full of works of art, including the precious mosaics, Piraino Palace of the sixteenth century, the church of S. Maria della Catena adorned with a graceful porch, the church of Mount Purgatory and the Pietà dating back to the Baroque period.
Admire the prehistoric Shrine Temple of Diana that dates back to the fifth century BC, located on a cliff overlooking the center and near the Shrine of Gibilmanna built in the sixteenth century that is the destination of pilgrimages from all over Sicily addition to the possibility of enjoy the splendid sea of Cefalù, in the city is felt the folklore and traditions. Typical is the octave of Corpus Christi, which is held in June, with a parade of floats through the streets of the town, preceded by a snare drum.
It 'goes without saying that the beaches of Cefalù is absolutely beautiful and very special, like Caldura, a small beach within walking distance following a small path on 20 minutes' walk from the city center.
Caldura is a pebble beach and is surrounded by high cliffs, from which you can make beautiful diving.
2-6 August there is the feast of SS. Salvatore, owner of the basilica cathedral and the patron of the city. Although it is the Immaculate, the patroness of Cefalù, the SS. Salvatore has always been celebrated as the patron of Cefalù.
'Ntinna a mari
the afternoon of the day of the celebrations of the SS. Savior, there is a race called 'Ntinna a mari. The race saw young and old fishermen prosthesis to the conquest of a colored flag attached to the tip of a long trunk, rendered slippery by animal fat, which is placed horizontally on the sea and firmly secured to the wharf.
food and dishes of Cefalù is closely tied to tradition sicula, in their goodness and variety. To taste are: the tasty "Arancine with meat" (meatballs with rice, lean pork and veal, eggs and peas fried in the pan) and " Frittedda" (a dish made of vegetables in the sauté pan - artichokes, broad beans, peas - with oil and vinegar).
Really special and tasty is "The Sfincione" (pasta bread stuffed with salami, cheese and onion) and try the " ; Sarde beccafico " (delicious dish made of cooked sardines with breadcrumbs, raisins, pine nuts and the parsley).
In addition, there are sweets "The Sicilian Cassata" and "The Sicilian" cannoli " (both based on ricotta and candied fruit), Amaretti (sweet made of bitter almonds, eggs and sugar) and Torrone (made with almonds honey and eggs). The pride of the Sicilian cuisine is without doubt the fish fresco.La local fishing is the characteristic of Cefalù.
Are also the delicious ice cream and granite-based coffee and tastes of fruit and, equally pleasing to the palate, the wine of the place that preserve the scents of the ancient Sicilian tradition.
The Cathedral of Cefalù
According to legend, the cathedral (" basilicacattedrale ") to Cefalù arose as a result of the vow made by the Blessed Savior Roger II, to escape a storm and landed on the beaches of the town. The real motivation seems rather to political-military nature, given its character of fortress.
The events were building complex, with significant variations from the initial project plan, and the building was never completed it. The laying of the cornerstone took place on the day of Pentecost in 1131 in the presence of Ugone archbishop of Messina to the reconstituted diocese was suffragan of Cefalù and in 1145 were made by labor Byzantine mosaics nell'abside and arranged that the sarcofagiporfiretici Ruggero II for the burial of his wife and then stolen by Federico II "temporary advantage the absence of the then Bishop of Cefalù Jocelmo" and taken to Palermo, where still today they are found.
The remains of Roger II had to stand in the transverse nave of the basilica, the figures testify in relief representing the lion symbol of kingship, and the tortoise: a symbol of eternity, the Prophet Elijah transported to heaven by the angel's hair; Oedipe blind symbolizing the riddles of life. Attached to the dome is an elegant cloister with columns surmounted by capitals figured among the most remarkable examples of sculpture in medieval Sicily.
via Vittorio Emanuele is the public washhouse known as "medieval Lavatoio", at the late-Renaissance palace Martino. In 1514 was demolished and rebuilt on a more behind the city walls and the river that flowed to the open sky was covered in the seventeenth century. In the summer of 1991 were the work of restoration.
The laundry has a lava stone stairway that leads to a floor smoothed by time and a series of tanks that you fill with water flowing from twenty-two cast iron vents (of which fifteen lion heads) arranged along the walls topped by low times. Through a small cavern, the water reaches the sea. The tanks are clear that the supports were used to rub the clothes.
Site in Spinuzza, owned by the barons of Bordonaro, has had a troubled history: closed and reopened several times, was even used as a lazar at the outbreak of plague. Since the'20s it was used as a cinema. It was abandoned in the 80s and became property of the municipality that started the restoration.
The hall has three tiers of boxes. Retains a painted decoration in 1885 in Rosario Spanish (canvas roof, backdrops and curtain).